Dad's Daughter || FICKLE EMOTIONS



"Priya!!! How much time will you take? I am starving." shouted Pankaj waiting at the dining table. Priya rushed out saying "Dad, how many times have I told you to not wait for me. You should've had your dinner if you're so hungry" and she started serving the food. "I don't know how to eat without you dear" he said and smiled.

Priya had lost her mother just after she was born and for the last 25 years, it was Pankaj who was both mumma and papa for her. Pankaj had been a doting father. Right from changing her nappies to tying her hair to making her tiffin to dropping her to school and well... everything in both their lives revolved only around them.

"So all set for tomorrow, Dad?" she asked with a sheepish smile. "Yeah, well almost" he said blushing. Pankaj and Sharon were going to get married the next day. Sharon was a family friend and had been a widow for last 15 years. Priya was extremely fond of Sharon and vice versa and they had treated each other as family. It was Priya who convinced them to tie the knot and stay together.

The D-Day arrived. The marriage was a low key affair and the trio celebrated the occasion with a cake. Days passed by and it was a comfortable transition for Sharon as well, since she knew them for a long time.

"Hi, Where's Dad?" asked Priya who was about an hour late from work and knew that her dad would be starving." He is sleeping dear. You freshen up and I will set the table for dinner" said Sharon." What do you mean he is sleeping? He must be hungry. Wait  I will wake him up" she said while walking towards his room. "Priya, don't wake him up. He's had his dinner." came the reply. Priya was stunned. "He's never had his dinner without me" she said to herself in astonishment. "Aunty, actually let it be. Even I am full. I'll hit the bed now." Saying that she went to her room.

Things were changing a bit between Pankaj and Priya. From having food with each other to keeping a tab via phone calls to having their chats in the evening, their routine had changed.
Pankaj was enjoying this new phase of his life wherein the void in his life had finally been filled. While, Priya was suddenly feeling a void.

Sharon had been thinking about this for the past few days.She knew that the gap between the two was widening and sometimes felt guilty as she felt that she was to be blamed for this. She had tried to get Pankaj's attention about this but it was futile. She knew deep down that the relationship was going to deteriorate further, but she kept trying. She entered Priya's room, sat next to her on her bed, said to her, "You know Priya, your Dad loves you a lot. There isn't a single conversation wherein he does not mention you" Sharon said while caressing her hair. "Yeah, I know Aunty. He loves me a lot" came the reply. Not a sarcastic but a dejected one.

It was going to be Priya's birthday on Sunday and Sharon had planned a weekend trip to Panchgani. "Finally, these two will spend some quality time together and sort out the issues" she thought. It was about 11 am and they checked into the hotel. Pankaj was in high spirits throughout the day and was happy spending some time with Priya and Sharon. They did some sight seeing and had a wonderful time boating. Priya, although enjoying this holiday wasn't exactly happy. She could feel the fact that it is not only her who makes her dad smile anymore. There was someone else too. A fact that had never existed between them for the last 25 years.

It was late in the night and all of them were tired. Pankaj and Sharon instantly hit the bed while Priya was watching television in the drawing room of the suite. The clock struck 12 and it was her Birthday. Priya got a couple of phone calls from her friends and then there was a lonely silence. She went to the balcony of the room and started gazing at the stars. Trying to find peace with her thoughts in the silence of the night. "Happy Birthday Beta!!!" came a loud shout from Pankaj who walked towards her and gave her a tight hug. "I cant believe my baby has turned 26!! You have indeed grown up my girl and I have never been so proud of you." he said in a very joyous tone."Thanks Dad" came a timid reply from Priya while still in a hug. "I have realized that we have not been able to spend a great amount of time in last few days. And I am sorry. I know how much you have missed your dad" Pankaj said, now getting a bit emotional while kissing his daughter's forehead.

"I can understand Dad. No need to be sorry. Just that you have been both my Mumma and Papa ever since I came into this world and for me it was always about Us. I am really happy to see you being this happy and wish for the same forever." she said while wiping off Pankaj's tears.

" But you know dad, Honestly, it wasn't you who I missed in last few days. For the first time in my life, I missed Mumma" she said as she walked away into her room. While Pankaj just stood their teary eyed.


The Blog Series titled 'Fickle Emotions' continues.

Love, Like and Share.

Comments

  1. Thanks Zubin feeling good to read such small stories, expressing emotions

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is your best story till date. Thats wat I personally feel.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Post Your Comments Here !!!

Popular posts from this blog

A Road trip

Waves

Valentine's Day